Which one to choose from these 3 laptops offer?

BrecMadak

Apr 21, 2024
Greetings folks,

I need a replacement for my laptop primarily for my work, as a medical illustrator. I work with very large Photoshop files (easily reach over +1,5 GB with +50 layers) and usually have +50 tabs open at any given time.

There is a specific retailer where I have to redeem my credits, and I’d love to take your opinions as far as CPU performance is concerned. I am in between these three choices:

Asus ROG Strix SCAR 17 — €2,799 — Ryzen 9 7945HX

MSI Raider GE78 — €3,071 — i9 14900HX

MSI Vector GP78 — €3,399 — i9 13950HX

However, the build quality of Asus is mid whilst the MSIs have high-end build quality.

Now, to my understanding and of all the research I've done, PS mostly utilises processors with fewer cores but higher processor frequency. Such a case with Rhyzen having a higher base clock speed (2.5 GHz vs1.6 GHz vs 2.2 GHz) than its Intel competitors. Apart from that, Rhyzen beats Intel on most multi-core tests, however, it stays behind on single cores. And as far as I know, PS favours running on mostly single-core.

I appreciate comments helping me choose a cost-efficient option that serves my needs as future-proof.

Thank you for your attention.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
PS is multithreaded now and it does offload 3d stuff to the gpu. But the biggest impacts come from scratchfile and ram. So 2 nvme drives and oodles of memory. Thermal throttle is a concern with the top end cpus. Go with a Ryzen 7 Phoenix and as much ram and nvme as you can stuff in.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

BrecMadak

Apr 21, 2024
Hi,
We don't have any data about thermal constraints for both brands, do we?
Do you favour 7945hx because it's cheaper and the performance difference would not be felt?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Hi,
We don't have any data about thermal constraints for both brands, do we?
Do you favour 7945hx because it's cheaper and the performance difference would not be felt?
You can google thermal trottle on each of the top end mobile chips. Like I said, Autocad is not really CPU bound, rather memory and disk io bound. So getting the cheaper cpu to dedicate more money to nvme and ddr5 makes sense.

Reactions: BrecMadak