What was your last home project and what is your next home project?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
This is the lowest part of my driveway. Water pools right where that joint is cut every time it rains. This trench drain is not connected to anything it's basically a dry well so the water will pool on it instead of the driveway.

Same process as the backyard without the tube. Dig the trench, landscape fabric goes down, 3 inches of crushed stone, and then the trench drain on top of that.

I'm going to place some polymeric stand in the edge between the driveway and drain just so that doesn't wash out.

1713465687402.jpeg
1713465740582.jpeg
1713465799614.jpeg
1713465866688.jpeg

Reactions: pete6032
Nov 17, 2019
"This trench drain is not connected to anything it's basically a dry well so the water will pool on it instead of the driveway."

Water has to go somewhere. Add some of this to the end of it to let it drain out and seep into the ground further away.

Prinsco 040100SF 4-Inch X 100-Foot Goldline Single Wall Perforated ...

It's perforated so water will weep in and out over the length. Sold in 10 lengths that connect to each other, or 100' rolls. Can be buried to be unseen. 4" diameter should connect direct to the drains.

I used about 50' of it from the end of a downspout to take the gutter rain well away from the house. It helps water the lawn along the distance.

Nov 17, 2019
Hope to get the last of the metal roof put on in the next couple of days, wind permitting. It's been a multi-year project as funds allowed, but hopefully this will be the last 5 panels.

Nov 17, 2019
I do pretty much everything my self and by myself. No help at all unless it's REALLY necessary like the steeper pitched roof that I just could NOT find a way to do safely.

But I also have an attention span issue and very little stamina and tire easily and quickly. So I do a bit of one thing, then move on to something else. One day last week I think I did a bit of five different projects, maybe six. Maybe an hour or so on one, then on to the next.

First hedge trimming of the year is about half done. Painting some exterior walls and trim, maybe three quarters done. Roof hopefully nearly done. Shed doors almost done. Reworking some shrubs mostly done. Outside lighting sort of done. Mowing in between at times when I just want to ride around for a while.

Nothing I'll post pictures of among all of your McMansions.

I've had to postpone working in two areas due to bird's nests with chicks and Moms actively feeding them. I'll wait until Fall when that isn't happening. I can't do much in Summer heat.

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I think I own a McMansion. I'm not sure because it's a really common design with some high end features and some really cheesy work.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
I swear they were straightening out used nails when they built this place in 52.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I swear they were straightening out used nails when they built this place in 52.
I opened the area under my stairs for storage and found 23 shiners on the first 6 treads. Whoever installed the treads was just blasting nails where ever he thought there might be a stringer.

Nov 17, 2019
This place was built in '47 as best I can tell. Most of the wood is rough sawn Oak (really 2 inches by 4, 6 or 8 inches) and having dried over so many years, you almost can't drive a nail in some places without predrilling.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
This place was built in '47 as best I can tell. Most of the wood is rough sawn Oak (really 2 inches by 4, 6 or 8 inches) and having dried over so many years, you almost can't drive a nail in some places without predrilling.
Same here, but I think its yellow pine, hard as a rock. I'm not complaining too much as the house has some unique features. It has a front southern elevation, with 30" soffits and a hip roof. In the winter, when the sun is low in the sky, it beams through the picture window adding heat, in the spring and summer, the sun is blocked by the wide soffit. The house was also built with ceder clapboard siding, 70+ yrs on and no degradation, and bugs hate it.

Reactions: iRONic

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
After spending a lifetime remodeling old homes, I elected to buy a new home when I retired. Mostly because of new mechanical and electrical systems, energy efficiency, and not needing to replace the roof for 30 years. I'll check back in thirty years and let you all know how it worked out.

I'dluv2

Oct 21, 2022
Tile on the BBQ in the backyard started separating so time to update. My neighbor is a tile contractor who said piece of cake, would help me do it. So I wait, and wait, and wait and pretty soon wifey is in my ass about getting it done. So figure I'd give it a shot. Top was rotted so had to lay down new plywood. So I cut a sheet of 1 1/4" plywood to size. Neighbor hears me cutting something and comes over and kind of goes oops sorry been really busy. Brings me a gallon of a liquid tar that he uses on some showers.

Then suggests a product called Schulter tile edge. He orders it for me, then to Home Depot to get the cheapest granit squares they have. Then to Craigslist for a used wet tile saw. Tells me if I don't understand come get him before I go further.

Happy with the way it turned out.

bbq.jpgbbq1.png

• Wow
Reactions: pete6032 and iRONic

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Tile on the BBQ in the backyard started separating so time to update. My neighbor is a tile contractor who said piece of cake, would help me do it. So I wait, and wait, and wait and pretty soon wifey is in my ass about getting it done. So figure I'd give it a shot. Top was rotted so had to lay down new plywood. So I cut a sheet of 1 1/4" plywood to size. Neighbor hears me cutting something and comes over and kind of goes oops sorry been really busy. Brings me a gallon of a liquid tar that he uses on some showers.

Then suggests a product called Schulter tile edge. He orders it for me, then to Home Depot to get the cheapest granit squares they have. Then to Craigslist for a used wet tile saw. Tells me if I don't understand come get him before I go further.

Happy with the way it turned out.

View attachment 98178View attachment 98179
That turned out really good and a lot more modern than the original design.

If the grout cracks at the edge of the Schluter edge, just replace it with silicone grout caulk, you can get it color matched.

Reactions: iRONic and I'dluv2

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Today's project isn't really a project it's more of a chore. Opening the pool for the summer!

I shouldn't bitch, my kid and the wife started draining it a couple days ago and they took the winter cover off yesterday and started filling it with water after he got off school. My job is just to make sure we don't put too much water in it.

The worst part is waiting/seeing if there's any leaks after the winter… When the water reaches the level of the return and we turn on the pump and filter.

Attachments

• IMG_1785.jpeg
    IMG_1785.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 4
Nov 17, 2019
I just have a little 10' round x 30" deep job, about 1,000 gallons. I rigged up a drain off the rain gutters with a hose that goes into the pool. A couple of heavy rains days and it was full. Free water.

Nov 17, 2019
It's a little toy pool. They include a little toy filter and pump that eats itself before the end of the first season. I picked up a better pump and sand filter on sale. But really, for 1,000 gallons, it's cheaper to drain and refill it when necessary that pay for power and the chemicals.

Chlorine tablets alone cost more that what I pay for water.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010

Then suggests a product called Schulter tile edge. He orders it for me, then to Home Depot to get the cheapest granit squares they have. Then to Craigslist for a used wet tile saw. Tells me if I don't understand come get him before I go further. Happy with the way it turned out.
That looks great, much more modern.