Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 1464 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
While Democrats find his personal beliefs objectionable he does appear to be slowly discovering the pragmatic nature his position demands and figuring out how to neutralize the right flank that ousted his predecessor. Dems would not have pissed on McCarthy if he was on fire because that's the relationship he cultivated.
What was there to figure out? The equation was always simple - that he would deal with democrats if the hard right didn’t want to deal with him.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
What was there to figure out? The equation was always simple - that he would deal with democrats if the hard right didn’t want to deal with him.

I don't think he entered the job with this perspective nor would have most house Rs. In the meantime their majority shrank and they have presided over one of the least productive sessions in history. Fortunately for him also Trump is going to have a full schedule of napping in Manhattan court for the next couple months.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
From what I’ve read Democrats viewed McCarthy as dishonest and while Johnson is still an asshole they don’t think he is a liar (in the legislative promises sense).

Johnson seems bad at his job (negotiating himself out of a win on the border and all) but if he can be trusted to follow through on agreements that is a lot better.
Beau seems to think everyone is underestimating Johnson and that he has that savy McConnell vibe to him… Effectively setting him self up to become the Mitch of The House.
It took some chess playing for Johnson to get to this place.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Beau seems to think everyone is underestimating Johnson and that he has that savy McConnell vibe to him… Effectively setting him self up to become the Mitch of The House.
What does that even mean? Like what specific actions is he taking and how do they compare to McConnell?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

He's ended up with his legislative pants around his ankles more than any speaker in modern history so eh on the mastermind stuff.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
What does that even mean? Like what specific actions is he taking and how do they compare to McConnell?
Well he is bringing the Twitter Faction to heel which means he has secured support outside the Trump Hards.. While that sounds easy I can imagine you’d need to move some pieces in the dark as to not alert the cult its getting encircled. He went to Trump, bend the knee kissed the ring and just when the timing was right - stab stab stab. Shit has to line up.

I guess that’s the message, I am sure I can dig up some vids from Beau if you want.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
He's ended up with his legislative pants around his ankles more than any speaker in modern history so eh on the mastermind stuff.
Yea, what if he is comfortable with his pants down there? - So to speak.

edit : That is was all for show... To show that he was a team-trump guy and that can be trusted to do the kings bidding...

edit2:

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I still think he's a horrible person, but I'm glad he yielded to reason in this case. It's good someone explained everything to him, made that 'my family could be affected' response kick in. Or maybe it's his scripture themed love of self-promotion meeting the chance to be seen as someone's savior. Idk.

Not sure I care about the cause here, just the effect. Glad to see the wait is almost over. The Lean Time ending sooner rather than later is another big nail set aside for Putin's coffin.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Johnson finally realized that he's in a coalition government. McCarthy would still be speaker if he came to the same conclusion earlier and was less of a dick. Too many people wanted to see him twist in the wind.
I think being a Republican from California made him feel like he'd never be accepted in a coalition. He was a deer in the headlights from day one. He always lived in terror.

Reactions: Zor Prime

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You know, if Russia went half way across the world on faulty intelligence to overthrow a regime that posed no threat to it, then I will be very critical of Russia.

But it's OK to do it to their neighbors, over the exact same lies and busted fantasy view of history. We get it: you're a lying bitch Russian motherfucker. That's it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Ukraine sees that puff of smoke and raises a missile factory. This is better, how it's really done.

"A mystery fire has destroyed part of a key Russian missile-making plant in Moscow, say reports.

The blaze is at Avangard factory which manufactures ammunition for the S-300 and S-400 anti-aircraft missile systems widely used in the war against Ukraine. The blaze covered some 540 square feet in workshop No. 12 of the Avangard plant, according to Moscow City news agency. The cause of the inferno and details of any casualties is currently unknown.

It appears to be the latest of a succession of fires reported at key Russian defence plants. The factory employs 2,500 workers, and it is the only one in the country manufacturing ammunition for the S-300 and S-400 air defence missiles."

*womp womp*

well that's just too bad.

Reactions: pcgeek11

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't think he entered the job with this perspective nor would have most house Rs. In the meantime their majority shrank and they have presided over one of the least productive sessions in history. Fortunately for him also Trump is going to have a full schedule of napping in Manhattan court for the next couple months.

I was thinking this same thing the other day: I guess Johnson is wily enough to know that with Trump publicly sleeping all day and likely being over-cautious due to gag order(s), he doesn't have to worry about Trump assassinating him with his social posts and can get this work pushed through quickly.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I was thinking this same thing the other day: I guess Johnson is wily enough to know that with Trump publicly sleeping all day and likely being over-cautious due to gag order(s), he doesn't have to worry about Trump assassinating him with his social posts and can get this work pushed through quickly.
No. He was caught between a rock and well a rock. Remember a large number of republicans want to provide Ukraine aide. My honest guess is he knew it was the right thing to do and also he has begun to realize that the MAGA crowd does not compromise so nothing he did with regards to anything would appease them unless he did exactly what they decide should be done. I.e, they are not a democracy. This is of course an interesting aspect around the Ukraine aide they don't want a vote since they know the majority of folks support aide - probably the majority of republicans as well.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Man, have you ever heard of this country called Russia?

what a lying fvcking cvnt you are.
Yeah, talk about meddling... that word is way way too tame in describing what Russia does to countries all over the planet. They are in fact poisoning this very thread with several of their propagandists posting here. It's part of Russia's M.O.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
America is the biggest meddler known to man and the world is sick of it. You people live in a very pro-Western bubble so you are not exposed to it but the world is very much tired of American and Western meddling and bullying. The rest of your posts are simply trash and not worthy of my response. Tired old insults, acting like little children. Very easy to act tough online. Enjoy your little bubble of naivety and delusions.

Remember, we are in a multi-polar world now so your days of bullying other people and other countries is over. No wonder American scumbag politicians are trying to ban TikTok - it’s because they are afraid of the truth being spread to the average low information American. TikTok is harder to control than YouTube so they must ban it - for freedom and democracy of course.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
While Democrats find his personal beliefs objectionable he does appear to be slowly discovering the pragmatic nature his position demands and figuring out how to neutralize the right flank that ousted his predecessor. Dems would not have pissed on McCarthy if he was on fire because that's the relationship he cultivated.
Beliefs don't mean a lot, especially objectionable ones. Most everyone's head is filled with some crap.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Last edited:
Reactions: GodisanAtheist

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
America is the biggest meddler known to man and the world is sick of it. You people live in a very pro-Western bubble so you are not exposed to it but the world is very much tired of American and Western meddling and bullying. The rest of your posts are simply trash and not worthy of my response. Tired old insults, acting like little children. Very easy to act tough online. Enjoy your little bubble of naivety and delusions.

Remember, we are in a multi-polar world now so your days of bullying other people and other countries is over. No wonder American scumbag politicians are trying to ban TikTok - it’s because they are afraid of the truth being spread to the average low information American. TikTok is harder to control than YouTube so they must ban it - for freedom and democracy of course.
You are a propagandist troll, a horrible gas-lighter to boot. People are best off either putting you on Ignore or simply not reading your posts.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

And there it is.

Reactions: zinfamous and Drach

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Blah blah blah, propagandist troll, bot, Russian agent, etc etc.

Yet you are repeating CIA/American government talking points here 24/7. Have just a tiny bit of self reflection. But I know who I am dealing with so that is expecting too much. Cool story though.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Ah, Americans not wanting to send Azov Nazis weapons?

This Azov commander is not happy.

"I emphasise that the very existence of such amendments and prohibitions not only prevents Azov from performing its combat missions more effectively, but is a blow to the defence capability of our country, tarnishes Ukraine's image on the international level, and is humiliating for the entire Ukrainian army."

So this group must be pretty bad that even the Americans are hesitant to arm them to fight Russia?!

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Some person asked earlier about who I consider a valid source so I am going to link the NY Times and a Ukrainian news source. Sometimes you just have to have some trust in things because we are not there on the ground to really see things. Of course, a widely shared and widely held story adds legitimacy as well but this is not the only criteria. Having a person or organization that has a good track record of not lying helps as well. Does this answer the question?

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

Yet you give Russia a pass for invading Ukraine, why is that?

Reactions: pmv