Question Internet Slow on Only One PC in Home???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Is the ISP Xifinity? Their Cisco routers suck.

The most evident is in Nest home, where the video won't load unless it is very freshly rebooted.

My router has deteriorated such that there are reboots once in a while and micro "drops". Meaning it is on most of the time but it isn't completely smooth operation.

Reactions: ascendant

ascendant

Jul 22, 2011
Is there a reason you're not using wired for a desktop? Is it's current location only temporary?
Yes, because my girlfriend's son uses it too, and she loves spoiling her brats, so god forbid the thing isn't in his room directly connected to his PC upstairs. We're downstairs on the far other side of the house, so running a wire would be unfeasible

ascendant

Jul 22, 2011
Is the ISP Xifinity? Their Cisco routers suck.

The most evident is in Nest home, where the video won't load unless it is very freshly rebooted.

My router has deteriorated such that there are reboots once in a while and micro "drops". Meaning it is on most of the time but it isn't completely smooth operation.
It's Frontier that we have now, but that's good to know in case we move later on

ascendant

Jul 22, 2011
Does OP realize that your solution is an on-board m.2 PCI-E wifi card, and not a USB dongle like he's currently using? I don't think that he realizes those aren't USB plug-ins.
Yea, I do realize that, but thanks for checking. I did build my own PC, and upgrades over the years. Only reason I'm hesitant is our budget is VERY tight right now due to some issues that happen at the start of this year. So, I'm just hesitant to spend money on something unless I'm extremely confident it will fix the problem. Even then, I have to worry about getting a new car before buying a wifi card. Hopefully within the next month or so, as looking to get the car soon

Reactions: VirtualLarry

ascendant

Jul 22, 2011
Well, I put a network card into my PC. No difference at all as far as the internet speeds. It's running about 140Mbps on the PCI-E card, and the card is capable of well more (Ubit WiFi Card 6E 5400Mbps for Intel (6GHz&5Ghz&2.4GHz) PCIe WiFi Card, BT 5.2, PCIe Network Card with OFDMA,Ultra-Low Latency)

I didn't make any changes to the IP address or any of the other configs in cmd.exe or any of that, so not sure if there's something I should change as far as that. But, I'm thinking it's safe to assume my wifi card wasn't what was slowing it down. But, I'll have to see if it does that intermittent REALLY low Mbps at times. I literally just installed it, so I guess I'll see in time. But so far, this card I just spent $40 on was a waste. My other one was doing the same exact speeds (excluding the intermittent issues)

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I thought that the intermittant 1Mbit/sec speeds WERE the issue.

You wanted more top-end speed? That's a whole nother ball-game.

(And no, you weren't ever going to see a 5400Mbit/s link )

ascendant

Jul 22, 2011
I thought that the intermittant 1Mbit/sec speeds WERE the issue.

You wanted more top-end speed? That's a whole nother ball-game.

(And no, you weren't ever going to see a 5400Mbit/s link )
That was the issue. No intermittent issues yet, but only about four hours of using it so far. I was just expecting higher speeds as well with this, at least 250Mbps or so. My phone and tablet do 250 no problem, just surprised this is bottle-necked at 150 for some reason.

I'm just concerned that the bottleneck it's been at lately is a part of the problem causing the intermittent issues, but hopefully it's unrelated. I'll find out in the next few days, as it doesn't last more than 3-4 days max before I have the intermittent issues