Info Help for old Lenovo EMC NAS units, IX2, PX4 etc

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Long threads in the hot deals section of forum, time to move support to the proper forum section IMHO. I have 2 of each IX2 and PX4, and know the most about those specific models, but I am far from being knowledgeable, so thread here is for me to ask for help as well as give it when I can.

Last thread link is from 7+ years ago when the IX2 first went on clearance and I bought one. This is the PRO side, they are quality units, mine up 24/7 with a pair of WD Red drives 7 years. CON side is that all of these NAS are old, End of Life little real support from Lenovo, but some files etc are still around, and besides myself a number of others bought one or more when they were offered cheap starting last year. Links in top thread are still selling units, but given all we now know and don't know these are not hot deals unless you like a lot of adventure in your deals.

Threads exists if you look for them or I get around to linking them here of people installing some version of Linux and making various software and hardware upgrades.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
My current problems;

I still would like to figure out the Linux type install, but its going to take a seriously for dummies' version.

IX2 was sold as DL, disk less, or with 2x 1 or 2TB drives. DL has some chip on the MB with OS, the other models have it on the drives, which makes drive upgrades a PITA which I have not figured out yet, but I am getting really good at swapping out the drives, all combinations and sequences I have tried without getting the two new 6TB drives to show up at the same time. One original drive and one new drive works sometimes, others not. Working on the issue right now. Factory reset appears to have made it worse, defaults to RAID1 and won't init either drive, vs old setting was protection "none" ie JBOD, which worked at least some of the time.

Old software, little formal support, so a bunch of apps on the NAS don't work, one of them appears to be whatever is needed to get a new SSL certificate.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I don't know if I have figured out replacing drives on a non DL (disc less, with boot on rom not drives), but I did eventually get 2x 6TB in a JBOD working on mine. I tried one new drive at a time with each of the original 1TB drives, and didn't work. Key maybe doing a reset and creating a new data pool with one new and one old drive, and that requires turning RAID off, ie setting it to NONE in drive management, which you may need to do using both original drives otherwise it may complain it can't create the data pool. RAID1 is the default setting after a hardware reset.

I've found instructions on how to create a SSL cert for a home network, but haven't tried it yet. Will add it here, when, if it works.

I haven't found anything on remote shutdown "Directly". The web GUI has a button to click for shutdown, figure out what it doing and find a way to fake it? Same for serial port that is used to monitor a older UPS. Picking up an older UPS with serial, even with a bad battery might be easy way to go

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Found this tidbit for restoring messed up unit.

Additional tips:
1. Don’t forget to remove all HDDs from the nas before the procedure. Otherwise all data will be removed.

2. download .zip via this link (for PX4-400d it is https://download.lenovo.com/nasupdate/asgimage/b4b-4.1.406.34763.zip ) -> unzip -> launch .exe -> select USB drive -> install image. If during the installation you’ll see an error just cancel the installation, do nothing with USB drive (don’t format it again) -> restart imager and set same drive letter during the installation.
3. Put the USB drive in TOP LEFT USB PORT on the back of the device -> push reset button on the back using someshing like a pin -> turn the device on and wait 60 seconds (don’t release a reset button during this 60 seconds).

It works for me. PeteLong thanks a lot for the instruction. You are my hero! =)

Thread is here https://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0001381

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
https://download.lenovo.com/nasupdate/asgimage/b4b-4.1.414.34909.zip is the link for most current OS, that I have been using / know of.

What the linked applications are;
LifeLine™ Device Imager
The LifeLine Device Imager allows you to re-image a fatally unrecoverable network storage device,
returning it to an initial factory state with updated firmware. It reformats the device and replaces the
firmware with a new image, erasing all existing data and settings.

I found the first one, made the second by putting in my software version replacing what was there.

Last edited:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Some additional links:

Restoring an IX2-DL after original drive fails and takes down the entire unit:

And after a few years of using my IX2, it seems that even with an 8TB drive in it, that as it becomes full, large files (5MB+?) become painfully slow to write for no reason. I had the same thing happen on the Lenovo 1-drive unit I got that started having this issue as it approached 2TB, so it seems to be a system limitation that was never hit back when drives were smaller. It still works like normal for small files and read speeds are unaffected.

Geven

Banned
May 15, 2023
Cloning a hard drive is the process of making an exact copy of the entire content from one hard drive onto another. This is a quick and straightforward way to back up your data or transfer it to another computer. The process requires an external storage device such as an external USB or DVD for you to write the clone image file to, prior to writing it onto the target drive. An exact copy of all your documents, photos, operating system, and other files stored on your computer are then written into this image file, which can then be transferred to any compatible device.

Cloning your hard drive can also make it bootable, but this depends on the type of cloning you're doing. If you're creating a disk image file, then the cloned hard drive will be bootable if you use software that supports the creation of a bootable disk1.

For a more comprehensive guide to cloning hard drives, I recommend visiting this Lenovo guide. It provides a detailed explanation of how to clone a hard drive, whether it's with Windows 10, Windows 11, or to an SSD.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Just tested my ix2 with 2x3TB drives 235GB free out of 5.45TB, 5GB movie wrote at 40+MB/s all the way.

With the latest round of price drops, if I had any concern I would buy a spare. I have yet had any success putting Linux on any of them, a me thing mostly, too much a L novice, but still a huge fan of the tech/$. PX12-450 with 4x1TB drives me I think $275 shipped incl tax, and I have been buying HGST HE 6TB server pulls in mid $40 range, feeling good running RAID6, two drives can fail and still recover data.

OTOH the PX12 is 40+ lbs with some drives, closer to 50 if full, and even at low speed fans very noisy. Eventually it won't be on my desk and noise no longer an issue.

Reactions: SamirD

chiquito3

Mar 4, 2020
Hello! Is anyone here able to provide a copy of the Transmission Torrent App version for the Lenovo PX4-400D?
I managed to find the version for the IX4-300d but not for the IX4.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Just tested my ix2 with 2x3TB drives 235GB free out of 5.45TB, 5GB movie wrote at 40+MB/s all the way.

With the latest round of price drops, if I had any concern I would buy a spare. I have yet had any success putting Linux on any of them, a me thing mostly, too much a L novice, but still a huge fan of the tech/$. PX12-450 with 4x1TB drives me I think $275 shipped incl tax, and I have been buying HGST HE 6TB server pulls in mid $40 range, feeling good running RAID6, two drives can fail and still recover data.

OTOH the PX12 is 40+ lbs with some drives, closer to 50 if full, and even at low speed fans very noisy. Eventually it won't be on my desk and noise no longer an issue.
Interesting that you haven't had any issues. I have my drive set up jbod since it's just a single drive. What's your drive setup? raid 0 or 1?

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
IX2 jbod, about to remake both of mine using some of the cheap 6TB drives I have around.

Issues; you MUST be mindfull that the shipped with drives units have the OS on the drives, and can be quirky when you swap in new drives. The IX2 run hot, but doesn't seem to cause a problem, and transfer rates are about half that of the other larger NAS, 45ish MB/s

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
If I find something poking around for what I need I'll post it, but I have to stay focused on my own issues for the time being.

My suggestion would be to join that forum and ask some questions. FWIW near as I can tell the lenovo NAS are based on Debian 7.1

Reactions: chiquito3

chiquito3

Mar 4, 2020
If I find something poking around for what I need I'll post it, but I have to stay focused on my own issues for the time being.

My suggestion would be to join that forum and ask some questions. FWIW near as I can tell the lenovo NAS are based on Debian 7.1
That info is a lot more than what I had before. I will keep asking at the forum. Thanks again for your help.