Considering a BMW X5, thoughts?

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I'm considering a 2025 BMX X5 xDrive40i. I was looking at the PHEV version, but it seems there are a few electrical bugaboos with those yet. Plus there isn't one within 500 miles of me to look at in person. I currently drive a 2019 Ford Edge ST with 58,000 miles that has actually been very reliable, but I want something in a mid-size luxury SUV that's sportier.

The nearest dealer is about an hour away from me, which is a consideration because I have a busy lifestyle and don't want to have to go to far for maintenance. I've been looking online a lot at a lot of different vehicles. Toyota Grand Highlander hybrid, Ford Exploder ST, Mercedes GLE 450 or whatever it is, and other things like the new Honda Pilot or Mazda CX-90. Genesis is kind of off the table as the nearest dealer is 120 miles away.

I considered an EV like the Tesla Model Y, but I can't charge at home except at 120v. I do have an estimate coming from an electrician as we have a maxxed out 100 amp service so I would have a new 200 amp service installed, then the 240v ran out to our unattached garage for the level 2 charger.

I have a few months to shop so I'm in no hurry. I'd still like to consider a PHEV but the mid size luxury segment is kind of limited. I can actually test drive an X5 this weekend. I tend to change vehicles every 4-5 years, this Edge I have now is the longest I have ever kept a vehicle.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
My in laws recently bought the hybrid variant and my dad is looking at one too to replace his 2015 (?) 750il.

Wife and I compared the BMWs, Audis etc for her car in 2021 and neither of us feel like we missed anything by keeping $35k and driving away a new Mazda CX-5. I own and love two older BMWs but the new stuff is pretty meh. I’m a crotchety old car snob though at age 34. Except for Mazda :)

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I had a CX-5 as a rental car and it seemed pretty decent. I would just want a a larger vehicle hence the CX-90 or CX-70 consideration.

Reactions: repoman0

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
The interior luxury factor is a step up on the BMW, and there will be more nice aluminum in the suspension and fixed aluminum brake calipers etc. It probably has better rust proofing too and newer BMWs are quite reliable. I’d still check it out. One other option is a Porsche Cayenne if you’re already potentially willing to pay the German luxury and parts/service tax. It will have the best driving dynamics of the bunch.

Still I think for a crossover daily driver type vehicle I’d personally be leaning CX-90. You’ll know for yourself if the fancier cars are worth the extra money to you.

Reactions: nOOky

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
For $60K MSRP you can get a Ford Explorer Platinum. 365HP / 380TQ.
Shouldn't be too hard to negotiate off $5K as well.

It would be worth back to back test drives with ST (400HP/415TQ) to see if you prefer the sport or the luxury of the Platinum. Nice thing about the current generation Explorer is that its a RWD designed drive-train so they drive sportier.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
For $60K MSRP you can get a Ford Explorer Platinum. 365HP / 380TQ.
Shouldn't be too hard to negotiate off $5K as well.

It would be worth back to back test drives with ST (400HP/415TQ) to see if you prefer the sport or the luxury of the Platinum. Nice thing about the current generation Explorer is that its a RWD designed drive-train so they drive sportier.

I spent some time yesterday actually reading and watching reviews of the new 2025 Explorer. Like you wrote, I think I might want to compare the ST with the Platinum especially since they both have that wonderful 3.0 engine. The interior of the Platinum looks nicer, and the 2025's now look more like an adult vehicle inside with the update. The Explorer would be quite a bit cheaper and it has everything I want.