Question TP-Link AC1900 Deco X55 considerations

Nov 20, 2009
I know there are a lot of options out there from a variety of manufacturers. I'm considering the TP-Link DECO X55 as a three-node mesh setup within my home. This would transition my traditional setup of multiple wireless routers to a switch+mesh wifi access. Over the past couple of years it has become a PITA to have multiple wireless routers with their own identity and moving from one point within my home to another. And trying to train others how to switch from one router's wireless access to another is not exactly worth my while. Having a multi-node setup under a single identity seems like a better approach. I have 1-Gbps Internet at home with Gigabit Ethernet wired throughout the home so I can use the wired backhaul to connect the three wireless nodes.

Anyone have any thoughts on mesh setups in their home? Mind you the farthest point between two places in my home is about 55 feet horizontally and 25 feet vertically through floors and walls. This amounts to about a vector of 60-70 feet.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Skip mesh as it's just marketing. Just get APs instead and set the same ssid on each one and opposing channels to force handoff on weaker signal.

You should be able to get AX models for ~$100/ea. They have up to 8 SSIDs each and you can assign them to vlans if you want to segregate traffic for different purposes

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I'm going to disagree with TechJunky on this one. I've used the multiple AP method previously and while it "works" it's just not as seamless for several reasons which I'll get to. I tried multiple APs to keep the cost down since I already had them, or could get them rather cheap. I tried using different SSIDs and the same SSID. Mesh systems are not "marketing".

Downside to using multiple APs:
1. You have to configure 2 devices, and configure each differently.
2. Hand offs from one device to the other are not that quick, if you get handed off at all. So if you have one device downstairs at the other end of the house and are connected to it you will stay connected to that device even when you go far away from that device and could be right next to the other device.
3. You might need multiple logins and/or apps to configure both devices.

I've had two different mesh systems, the AmplifiHD by Ubiquity, and the TP-Link AX3000 (X55). I use the Ethernet backhaul option to connect the two devices. I'm only using 2 at my house (2600 sq. ft, two story) as that covers everywhere I need access. I have also installed an AX3000 (X55) mesh system at my in-laws and use all 3 devices without ethernet backhaul. Their house is smaller but there's one device installed in a shed out back. The AmplifiHD was nice, but each router cost more than the entire TP Link system. There were a couple of features that I liked about it better than the TP Link, but unfortunately 1 of the routers crapped out and they have been out of stock for a while. So I switched to the TP Link a couple of years ago. The AmplifiHD system had a better way to configure Parental Controls. I could set on and off times per device without paying any fees. TP Link requires you to pay a service fee for this, which in my opinion is BS. They do offer other features with this service, but if all you want is to set on/off times you should be able to do that within the device's settings without paying fees. Other than that the system has been great. We get full WIFi signal throughout the house with very little drop in speed as you move away from one device or the other. We have several smart devices (light switches and such) that never show any signs of being disconnected. Handoffs from one device to the other are quick and really go unnoticed.

I bought mine from Best Buy as I wanted it right away when the other system crapped out. I got this one https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-lin...-gigabit-speeds-white/6479600.p?skuId=6479600. But Amazon has this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PRB1MZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 which is essentially the same thing, but offers an additional ethernet port on each device which is nice and is cheaper than the one at Best Buy.

Reactions: lantis3
Nov 20, 2009
I was about to buy the TP-Link Deco x55 when I discovered something particular nasty going on in the mesh industry. It seems that both TP-Link and Netgear require you to create an online account and be signed into it for their mesh products to work. I'm going to go out on a conspiracy ledge and say that this has to be because they are trying to data mine you--especially as they are forcing you to use their cell phone app. And if there is one thing I would never trust is anything on a cell phone not leaking my mofo data. So, you are either handcuffed into their will to mine or do without their product. I'll do without it.

One of my TP-Link routers (most recent one bought) has OpenMESH, but apparently TP-Link has managed to handcuff consumers here, too. One cannot use the qualified range-extender in a wired backhaul scenario. What good can a range-extender be in a dead zone if it needs to be out of a dead zone to wirelessly backhaul? I'm beginning to think I am either immensely ignorant or these mofo companies are banking on stupid as their customer base. Oh well, I'll figure something out, or not.