Bluetooth Compatibility Issues?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
First, the basics.
I have a 2019 Samsung UN65RU800DFXZA television.
I currently have 3 sets of bluetooth headphones paired with it.
1. Sennheiser HD440BT (my wife's...one ear is dead and the pleather is peeling off the ear cups. I want to replace the headphones)
2. Sony WHCH710N (poor build quality...plastic bits keep falling off of them, but otherwise they work well.)
3. Monoprice Sonic Solace II (not the best sound, but they work)

Here's the problem...Because the Sennheisers are dying, I need to replace them. I ordered a set of Sennheiser HD458BT as replacements over Black Friday, (basically the same cans, just newer...my wife isn't "tech friendly") but for whatever reason, they would NOT pair with the Samsung TV. They'd pair with my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra phone without a problem, and my 2017 iPad as well...but not the TV. Since both the TV and headphones worked...I figured it's some kind of communications issue.

So, I ordered a pair of Anker Soundcore Space Q45 headphones for her. (perhaps the most comfortable headphones with the nicest ear cups I've ever encountered...very soft and comfortable) but...same problem...they connect to the phones and iPad, but not the TV.
Soundcore and Samsung say the same basic things...the TV and headphones are working fine...but aren't compatible.
I have no idea what bluetooth version the TV is...and even Samsung couldn't tell mes, but the Soundcore cans are BT 5.3.

Anyone have any insight into this problem? She hates both the Sony and Monoprice headphones, so having her use those isn't an option.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
What about pairing the headphones to an external streaming device like the firestick, nvidia shield, onn 4k, vudu device, game console, etc. as a workaround?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Perhaps the TV can only pair with a finite number of devices, and the list needs clearing somehow (e.g. a reset)?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
What about pairing the headphones to an external streaming device like the firestick, nvidia shield, onn 4k, vudu device, game console, etc. as a workaround?
Interesting idea. Not sure how it would work for the crap she watches via Dish though.
Perhaps the TV can only pair with a finite number of devices, and the list needs clearing somehow (e.g. a reset)?

I wondered about that myself. I can remove items from the pairing list…I removed the Monoprice headphones as a test. The other cans still wouldn’t pair…but the Monoprice ones paired right back up.
Other than doing a full factory reset, I’m not sure how to reset the pairing list…and the Samsung agent actually advised against it.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Another workaround may be to connect the tv to a bluetooth dac or bluetooth dac/amp combo and pair with the headphones. I'm not completely sure if the bluetooth signal goes both ways though. I've only paired my phone with my dac to play prime music but I have my Nvidia Shield wired to my dac via usb cable and the dac is hardwired to my headphone amp sitting beside me. I've never tried pairing my bluetooth IEMs to my dac for audio. Price is also an obstacle.

What about a usb bluetooth dongle connected to the tv or something similiar? Someone would have to chime in as I have no idea if it would work.

If you had a bluetooth home theater reciever you may be able to pair the headphones to the receiver. Again, I have no idea if it would output audio via bluetooth.

It's sad that I don't know if bluetooth is input, output or both ways. I've always prefer hardwired. Here's hoping that you figured out a solution.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Another workaround may be to connect the tv to a bluetooth dac or bluetooth dac/amp combo and pair with the headphones. I'm not completely sure if the bluetooth signal goes both ways though. I've only paired my phone with my dac to play prime music but I have my Nvidia Shield wired to my dac via usb cable and the dac is hardwired to my headphone amp sitting beside me. I've never tried pairing my bluetooth IEMs to my dac for audio. Price is also an obstacle.

What about a usb bluetooth dongle connected to the tv or something similiar? Someone would have to chime in as I have no idea if it would work.

If you had a bluetooth home theater reciever you may be able to pair the headphones to the receiver. Again, I have no idea if it would output audio via bluetooth.

It's sad that I don't know if bluetooth is input, output or both ways. I've always prefer hardwired. Here's hoping that you figured out a solution.

Bluetooth can be input or output.
I think I'm going to have to find a BT transmitter to connect to the TV via the TOSLINK/Optical output. (no headphone type of jack)
Seems like everyone I find that looks decent...has a ton of negative reviews.

Reactions: balloonshark

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Bluetooth can be input or output.
I think I'm going to have to find a BT transmitter to connect to the TV via the TOSLINK/Optical output. (no headphone type of jack)
Seems like everyone I find that looks decent...has a ton of negative reviews.
I purchased a setup that was suggested to me by a few folks on head-fi forums.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I purchased a setup that was suggested to me by a few folks on head-fi forums.

I posted this over there too. Your link is just the generic "help" forum...at least for me.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'm 0/3 on getting new headphones to pair with this TV. At this point, she said "Fck it. I'll live with one dead ear from the old Sennheisers."
I offered to try a bluetooth transmitter in between the tv and headphones...she doesn't want to mess with it.

So...thanks for your attempts to solve the problem...all headphones have or will be returned.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
That's a bummer. The one bluetooth transmitter is 30% off but who knows if it would work with your headphones. I would have been tempted to try it before giving up. Your whole situation doesn't reflect well on Samsung.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
That's a bummer. The one bluetooth transmitter is 30% off but who knows if it would work with your headphones. I would have been tempted to try it before giving up. Your whole situation doesn't reflect well on Samsung.
I had what looked like a decent one in my cart, ready to pull the trigger. She said (quite emphatically) NO! I DO NOT want to keep spending $$$ on this! :shrug: I can only do what I can do at this point.
(ever since she had her stroke, she's been kind of...stubborn.)

Reactions: balloonshark